Upon request, here's the secret recipe to the Sopa Verde, courtesy of Edwin Martinez & Co.:
Sopa Verde ("green soup")
Serves 15 (or 10 people that realllly like Sopa Verde!)
- 1 Whole Chicken (I used 1 package of 4 chicken thighs)
- 4 Cups Water
- 2 quarts chicken stock/broth
- 3 Green Peppers
- 1 Whole Garlic (all cloves peeled)
- 5 large green onions or leeks (I used 2 yellow onions)
- 1 Bunch of Fresh Chopped Cilantro
- 1 Bunch fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 Habanero Pepper (I used 3 jalepenos, with the seeds)
- 2 Pounds Tomatillos, coarsely sliced
- Lots of chicken consomme powder, or try bouillon (I just added extra salt instead of this step)
- 1 Package of Sweet Thick Cream (This might be able to be found at a Mexican Grocery Store, but I used "Mexican Style" sour cream)
- 1 Package Finely Grated 'Queso Duro' (Hard Cheese, or parmesan works as well)
- 1 Bag of nice, fresh tortilla chips
- Cook chicken in the water in a large pot while you saute the garlic, onions, tomatillos, and peppers.
- Add saute items to the pot as they're cooked
- Add all other vegetables (cilantro, spinach, hot peppers, etc.)
- Add chicken stock, give the mixture a good stir, and let simmer for 2-3hours, then remove from heat and let cool.
- Remove chicken, and blend the remaining mixture in a blender or food processor (you'll probably have to do this in several batches)
- After blending, pour blended mixture back into the pot. Shred chicken which was previously set
- aside, and put back into the pot with the blended soup mixture. Cook soup mixture again with the shredded chicken.
- Place tortilla chips in a bowl and pour soup over top. Pour sweet thick cream on top of that and sprinkle with grated queso duro cheese as desired.
Enjoy! Like this girl here: